To-do list while moving out of an apartment, You’ve finally made the decision to move from your home. Perhaps you’re moving to a new house. Whatever the reason, there are a number of things to consider when taking a brand-new life in the air and moving into a brand-new residence.
In this blog, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment” we’ll provide the things you must do before moving out of your home. From cleaning up to change of address to ensure that you don’t miss anything during the process.
Give your landlord notice
The first thing you must do the moment you are leaving your home is to notify your landlord. You must provide your landlord with at minimum 30-day notice, however certain landlords may need 60 days’ notice. Make sure you check your lease for the mandatory notice timeframe. In the majority of instances, you’ll need to give a written note to the landlord. We have a example letter below to serve as an example.
The notice you send to the public must include:
Name and Address
The date on which you are leaving
Forwarding addresses (if there is one)
If you’ve handed in the notice to your landlord, make sure to follow-up with a call or an email to confirm they’ve received the notice. If you can, it’s recommended to sign your landlord notice down in writing, and keep copies to keep for your documentation, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
Keep the apartment clean
If you’re planning to move out of your apartment: Start with a good amount of time to clear and thoroughly clean the area. This means taking a look through all of your possessions, getting rid of everything you no longer require or desire and completing an extensive cleaning of the whole house.
If you own furniture or other things that you’re looking to dispose of check out any local groups that can remove them from your possessions, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
Once everything is cleared and tidy, take an inspection of the apartment with the tenant or landlord. This will ensure that you receive you security deposit and to ensure that there aren’t any damage that could be charged to you.
Before you officially leave be sure to update your address on your utility bill and your mailing address to ensure that you are no any longer accountable for them.
Take your stuff in order
When you are beginning to pack your possessions, it’s crucial to ensure that you have everything you require in one location. This includes all your personal belongings and any other items which belong to your complex (e.g. keys, keys, parking passes, etc. ).
In order to ensure you don’t miss anything is a good idea to make an inventory of everything you’ll need to take with you. It can be a paper list you make or a simple checklist which you can run through your mind. In either case you take time to consider the things you’ll need to bring in advance will reduce the amount of stress in the future, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
Once you’ve got your list of items to put in the bag, begin putting the items and placing them in bags or boxes. If you can, try to put similar items together so it is more easy to track. For instance, you could place all your clothes into one container, and all the kitchen equipment in another, and so on.
If you’re having trouble figuring where to begin the best general rule of thumb is starting with things you don’t use on a daily basis. This includes things like clothes that aren’t in season, additional books, linens and other small items. Once these items are taken care of then packing your rest of your possessions will be much more straightforward.
Forward your mail
If you’re planning to move out of an apartment, the first thing you’ll have to do is forward your mail. This can be done by filing the change of address form at the postal office in your area. Be sure to complete it before a few weeks before you move to ensure that your mail can begin arriving at your new address in time, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
Change your address
Contact your current landlord to inform them that you’ll be moving out and the date the last day of your lease will be.
– Pack up everything in your home and arrange for them to be transferred to your new home.
Change your address with the post office and change details on memberships or accounts you own.
Send your mail to the new address, or ask someone else to collect it for you.
Clean up your old home to leave in great condition to be rented out to the next tenant.
” To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
Return your keys
1. Remit your keys back to the office of leasing, or place them off in the mailbox. Make sure you include your apartment’s address!
2. Plan a walk-through of the final room with your leasing agent or landlord. This usually happens after you have taken all your possessions from the apartment and cleaned the apartment from the top to the bottom.
3. Pay any outstanding charges or payments like utilities or rent.
4. Send your letters to the new address.
5. Update your contact details at the office of leasing so that they can contact you if there’s any issues regarding your previous apartment for example, mold or water damage, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
Moving out of an apartment can be a daunting task
1. Make a to-do list of all the things you need to do before leaving your apartment. This will give you a schedule to follow and help keep track of your progress.
2. Create packing lists for both your personal belongings and any large items you plan on taking with you. This way, you won’t have to worry about having too much or not enough room when getting started on your move.
3. Make sure to pack plenty of shoes, clothes, and other small appliances before departing. This will help make the move smoother overall, “To-do list while moving out of an apartment”.
As you can see, there’s plenty to be done when leaving your home. But worry not we’ve got you covered. Simply follow our helpful checklist and you’ll be set in the blink of an eye. Once you’ve settled into your new residence, be sure to have time to relax and enjoy your new place.